Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Fairytale Finish

Hoorah for a Fairytale Finish!  I've taken lots of pretty pictures for you all......

Fairytale Wall Hanging - Paper Pieced

As you can see, I made my fairytale blocks in to a wall hanging.  I wanted to make something for my god daughter in Tokyo, and have already made her a quilt (only a rag quilt, she will get a "real" quilt very soon!) and cushion, so checked with her Mummy that she liked fairytales (she's 2.5 - OF COURSE she likes fairytales!), and was also told she had nothing on her walls yet.  Bingo!  
Now, I know the blue block stands out a lot more than the others, but I just couldn't come to terms with either omitting it or making another brighter hued block and omitting a different one.  So, it is what it is!

Paper Pieced Cinderella

When it came to the quilting part, I thought quite a lot about how I was going to tackle it.  I knew I wanted to free motion myself silly, but how?  I started off with one design, and then unpicked.  Started another, unpicked again.  Then just sat.  And stared.  In the end, I picked it up and just went with the flow.  Each block is completely different.

I googled each fairytale individually, because we don't actually own any of them!  I free motioned a quote from each of them.  Once the quotes were done, I whacked in a different coloured thread and had fun.

"Happily Ever After" - The Cinderella block has an organic kind of baptist fan! And then on the doorway, some sharp lines.  I've just noticed she needs a bucket handle! I was very careful not to quilt over the faces of each Princess.

Paper Pieced Sleeping Beauty

"She slept for one hundred years" - Sleeping beauty was already quite a busy block with the text print and different colour combinations.  So I stuck with some little flowers on the quilt and lots or organic lines throughout.

Paper Pieced Snow White

"Once upon a time, long long ago" - Snow White got some more organic straight lines.....

First attempt at face embroidery!

And was officially my first ever attempt at embroidering a face!  Oh, and an apple stalk.....  It's hard to tell, but there's also "love" free motioned on the text print.

Paper Pieced Thumbelina

"So they called her Thumbelina" - I don't even know what to call the pattern I quilted here!  But I like it!

Paper Pieced Castle 

Lots of diagonal lines across the castle, and the clouds have little curved arches, the same as the fabric print.

Paper Pieced Castle 

Which makes it all cushy and cloud like....

Fairytale Wall Hanging Back - Paper Pieced 

And the backing is my favourite Ikea print.  I did the hanging "pockets" the same as on my Refractatorium wall hanging.  Little triangles in the corners to slip the dowel in to, and then a 10" pocket in the middle so it doesn't sag.  More hand sewing on there - I seriously don't know what's wrong with me?!!?!

Fairytale Wall Hanging - Paper Pieced

And this photo?  Well, I took it on my iPhone, and really just love the angle!  I adore this project, and I can't wait to give it to my little god daughter when we meet up on the Gold Coast the week before Christmas!

In the details:

Finished size - 46" x 24"
Fabrics - Too many to declare!  But a special mention to a bunch of Art Gallery prints that have been sitting in my stash awaiting their calling.  The white & pink fabric used for the clouds was from a fabulous low volume bundle I bought on special from Pink Castle Fabrics - meant to be really!  That fat quarter JUST scraped in being big enough for its purpose!  The sashing and binding is a Michael Miller Dumb Dot - not so dumb really....
Thread - I used a few different colours in this project!  Aurifil #2024 white, #2605 grey/silver, #2000 sand, Aurifil #2692 black for the writing and face embroidery and because I couldn't wait for my next Aurifil delivery to get this finished, I pulled out a beautiful baby pink Gutermann I had.
Patterns - The castle is a pattern by Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts (not for sale YET!) and the fairytales are by Kristy @ Quiet Play, which you can find HERE.

I'm linking up all over the place this week - because I can!  And You can too!


Sew Cute Tuesday



Fresh Poppy Design


Paper Piecing Party

23 comments:

  1. How lovely! I'm sure you're sew happy to have it done...great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun and fantastic wall hanging! Very eye-catching piece with such creative subjects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! What a great wall hanging. Love the thread writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! I'm a fan of quilting each block as it "asks."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job, I love it!!! The farces turned out awesome! I think my favorite quilted part is the organic baptist fan and the sweet flowers on Sleeping beauty's quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful story quilt! I like the castle in the center the best. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, WOW. You did an incredible job and the result is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh I love this - just adorable :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fabulous! I LOVE it! The blocks are gorgeous and your quilting is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just gorgeous. it is a princess worthy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It turned out so fantastic! Love the quilting and blocks and sweet details you added!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, it is just wonderful an playful! Congratulations on your finish!
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so incredible, such detail, your god-daughter will be spotting different aspects of this in the years to come. It's very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Each of your chosen FMQ ideas compliments the block and I truly love your embroidered faces.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You did a fabulous job...love it!! I am sure it will be very well received.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just a little girl's dream quilt! Each block is so special and unique. I think that Thumbelina works well, even though the block is brighter than the others. I would have left it as-is too!

    Thank you so much for linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's just lovely! Your quilting sets it off so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quilting is out of control and this quilt is gorgeous!!!!! Thanks so much for linking up xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment - I read each and every one of them! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...