Friday, August 30, 2013

T.G.I.F.F. - Wonky Star Cot Quilt

The Purple, Silver and Green quilt has been finished!  I shared with you on Wednesday that I had a few concerns about this one, but all concerns were squashed as this beauty came together.  I saw the intended recipient yesterday - who is due to give birth any day now - so it gave me a push (pardon the pun!) to finish it up.  I completed the quilt top yesterday, and managed to baste, quilt and bind it today!  Finishing up at 5pm.......right on cue for the rain to begin!  So without further ado, here it is - being photographed wonky style on the decking, out of the rain!


Wonky Star Cot Quilt 

When deciding which pattern I would use, all I knew was that it had to be gender neutral, and I wanted to incorporate stars.  I went to my trusty Wombat Stew gals and asked for ideas (because my brain was mush and lacking any!), and the lovely Lara suggested the Reverse Hopscotch, which funnily enough is by the designer at V & Co!  I jumped at the idea and went ahead and bought the pattern HERE.  Unfortunately, although Vanessa has based the Reverse Hopscotch on this pattern, it took a bit of mathematics for me to figure it out!  Not only for making the blocks, but also for making the cot size version.  Remarkably - I did not fail!  It's basically a 9 patch block mixed with a wonky star block.  Easy peasy.

Wonky Star Cot Quilt 

The fabrics are a custom bundle put together by Julie at The Intrepid Thread.  The request for green, purple and silver threw me a bit - but Julie made it work!  There are a few prints from the V & Co "Simply Style" range.  And lots of other gorgeous lines mixed in.

Wonky Star Cot Quilt 

I think the stars would have stood out much more with a different colour to silver!



Wonky Star Cot Quilt 

I used this gorgeous grey chevron print from Spotlight to back it.  Love it.

Wonky Star Cot Quilt 

Wonky Star Cot Quilt 

Very simple straight line quilting, echoing the inside of each star, and then on both sides of each 5" square.  I used Aurifil 50wt #2024 white for the stars and Aurifil 50wt #2605 silver/grey everywhere else.  I've also started lengthening my straight stitch to 3.0 when quilting, and am loving the look of it.  A couple of ladies at our quilt gathering on Sunday asked me why Aurifil was so special?  Well, I like how shiny and smooth it is.  The colour range is spectacular and best of all - my sewing machine LOVES it!  If you haven't tried it, you should.

Wonky Star Cot Quilt

And that's a wrap!  Would you believe that is quilt number 14 for 2013?  CRAZY!!!!!  I love this quilting thing......

I'm linking up with T.G.I.F.F. being hosted by Pippa's Patch - You can too!

11 comments:

  1. That turned out lovely! I haven't tried Aurifil yet - but then my machine isn't big enough even to think about quilting, just patchwork for me at the mo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love this quilt - the colours are fantastic :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! I love the colors and the wonky stars are so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Midge....this is a stunner! The colors are so soothing and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE those fabrics! Fabulous colour palette! Way to go on finish #14!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! It's a lovely pattern and the fabrics are beautiful. I agree with you about the silver stars, but I think they have a lovely neutral, restfulness - part of the quilt's overall beauty. And your quilting is immaculate. p.s. you should definitely try out the shop! lots of loveliness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great quilt! You made the colors totally work. I like how you worked with colors that would normally be out of my comfort zone and put together a beautiful gender neutral quilt. It is sure to be cherished and love. Great work, you are really on a roll!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These colors are some of my favorites together! It's really beautiful!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this quilt! The colors are my favorites, and the pattern is simple and beautiful. I'm feeling inspired :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment - I read each and every one of them! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...