Wednesday, December 12, 2012

It's The Most Wonderful Time of The Year?

I headed off to the shops yesterday, just for a couple more last things.  Just like the day before, when I ducked in for a couple of last things.  I also need to return to the shops to return one of the last things I bought on Friday.  No doubt, next week will find me there again.  

Yup - Christmas.  The most wonderful time of the year?  For the last couple of weeks I've been talking with family and friends about the upcoming festive season.  We've been making plans, deciding who is going where, and doing what.  Swapping gift ideas.  Texting family members for gift ideas.  Giving up on gift ideas and literally asking people "What the hell do you want"???  And oh, finding new hiding places for gifts - seeing as though my Great Grandma's old armoir now resides somewhere other than my garage.  It's the same old story, year in and year out.

All this work, for one day.  Or many days if you have split families like my husband and I.  Every year I wonder why we all go to so much trouble.  And then I remember.....  Monday's venture, to a different shopping centre, saw Chloe visit Santa.  Again.  And she still smiled like a goose and got all excited.  Friday night saw us lying on the grass at the kid's school, listening to out of tune Christmas Carols whilst watching other kids running around the oval with flashing reindeer head bands.  And the next couple of weeks, in the lead up to the big day, we will no doubt be inundated with more Christmas traditions, whoever's they are, and will suck it up and enjoy them for our kid's sake!


They've been making their list, in fact, they wrote them twice.  Santa probably doesn't give a shit who's naughty or nice - because he will still come to town!  Doesn't mean I can't use it as leverage though?


Despite everything - the crowds, the car park rage, the endless rolls of wrapping paper and sticky tape - I still love Christmas.  I love savouring the sheer joy on my kids faces (albeit through sleepy eyes).  I love giving gifts - and receiving them (unless they're dodgy!).  But most of all, I love it when it's all over.  When we can sit back and relax.  Well, until the packing and travelling begins.......

Wonderful or Woeful?





1 comment:

  1. "Santa probably doesn't give a shit who's naughty or nice - because he will still come to town! Doesn't mean I can't use it as leverage though?"

    Hahaha, love this, so true! The Santa threats work a treat!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment - I read each and every one of them! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...