Thursday, January 26, 2012

Australia Day

The 26th of January - Australia Day.  You know what?  I still don't really understand why we "celebrate" Australia on this actual date?  And after doing a little Google investigating, I can see why I didn't!  Australia Day celebrations - and to most people, more importantly the Public Holiday - only began officially in 1994.  So I would have been all of 20.  And I do not remember once ever celebrating.  Hmmmm.....

Don't get me wrong - I am as patriotic as the next person.  I cheer for our Aussie sports-people.  I support all of the men and women who serve our country.  I love everything about Australia.  But I do not "get" the whole flag-waving that has become such a sensation the last few years?  I guess it's another 
"each to their own" thing.

From "The Age" newspaper.  A very true representation of our multiculturalism!


So today, on this auspicious occasion - my husband and I are going to take the kids out to lunch.  To Salsa's.  An Australian owned, Mexican themed restaurant chain!  So very Australian me thinks...

To everyone who is not working today - enjoy your public holiday.  And to everyone who IS working today (like I will be tonight!) - enjoy your public holiday penalty rates!!

Aussie Aussie Aussie - Oi Oi Oi!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment - I read each and every one of them! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...