Monday, September 28, 2009

Out of the mouth of babes....part one

So I have titled this ''part one'' on purpose.......because I know for sure that there will be more parts to this subject!

Today marks a milestone in Chelsea's life......she is having her best friend sleep over for the very first time. At six years of age, I have had a few parents raise their eyebrows - surely because they think it is too young? But I simply couldn't resist! Some of the best memories of my childhood are from the copius amounts of sleepovers I had at friend's houses and vice versa.

I was lucky enough at the age of nine to move to a wonderful little Gold Coast town called Oxenford. Back then, in 1984, it was a town - now it is a fully fledged suburb! It was a newly developed estate, and my parents bought a block of land, and as what had become somewhat tradition - my plumber father built a house on the land and we called it home.

Our house was opposite a very small little culder-sac, where I soon figured out another girl I went to primary school with - Sarah - lived. And much to my delight, soon after this also discovered another school friend - Kate - lived three doors up the road! This triangle of homes became a well worn track very quickly.....and much to our parents' ''joy'', we made it a weekend ritual to work out whose house we would be sleeping at and how we would go about making sure someone's parents agreed.

This ritual continued for many years, even after my family moved further up into the estate (soon after my father discovered gambling - but that's a whole other story!) and the three of us had to ride our bicycles up the dreaded huge hill to get to my place.

It was actually in high school that my sleepover tactics began to really annoy my Mum. It is only now that I'm a Mother myself, I can truly understand and appreciate her level of annoyance, because I can almost guarantee that if my kids pulled the same stunt, I would probably have a cow! Another bestie, Jane (who is still to this day a bestie) and I caught the bus home from school every day. I still lived in the estate, however, Jane lived further up into Mt Tamborine. You have to understand - we caught a ''coach bus'' to and from school, because where we lived at the time was a good 30-60 minutes bus ride from the closest high school. So in what became a very annoying ritual for our parents, I would very conveniently ''forget'' to get off at my bus stop, and even more conveniently, wait to get off at Jane's bus stop - a further half an hour drive from my house. It was at this time I would then phone my Mum and state the rather obvious fact that I was literally up the mountain! To say she was not happy would be a huge understatement...

Soooo, it is with much amusement that I make this post, as I have just told Chelsea and her bestie to have another drink (that they realllllllly needed) and go to the toilet again, and stop coming out of bed! They have spent the evening giggling, playing princesses, annoying Cadyn and generally having a lovely time together.

As my children reach the different milestones in relation to their ages, the memories flood through - an overwhelming majority of them are joyous, and then there is that tiny little minority that makes me that little bit more protective of my bundles of joy!

So the quote for this evening and hence the reason for the title - ''Jimmy called me sexy when he became my boyfriend'' - from Chelsea's bestie!

Good night! x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment - I read each and every one of them! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...